[CentOS-devel] centos variant ?

Jim Perrin jperrin at centos.org
Sun Apr 13 23:33:39 UTC 2014

On 04/13/2014 04:09 PM, Glen Gardner wrote:
> Some time ago, I created a simple cluster configuration kit based on CENTOS.
>
> http://gridtoys.com/pvc/pvc.html

> The configuration kit is based on the use of a centos kickstart DVD and
> a simple shell script.
>
> Now I am reading some rather fuzzy definitions for CENTOS variants and
> am wondering if what I am doing with the cluster configuration kit is
> better suited as a CENTOS variant , or if it really fits the proposed
> definition of a variant at all?

Any part of the definitions I can clear up for you?

If I understand the overview of pvc correctly, you're using vanilla
centos without modifications, then using a custom kickstart for the
install, and adding some tools on top.

This wouldn't really be a SIG or variant unless you wanted to take this
a step further so that your configs were packaged and deployed together
as part of the install.

Even then it might be a stretch as we aren't targeting a specific tool
for variants. This effort may be welcomed as part of a cluster or HPC
SIG, but as it is, it seems fine.

--
Jim Perrin