[CentOS-devel] Request for epel-release package in CentOS repo

Martin Jackson mhjacks at swbell.net
Fri Apr 18 22:41:25 UTC 2014

On 4/18/2014 11:45 AM, Kevin Stange wrote:
> On 04/18/2014 07:26 AM, Martin Jackson wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> With the changes in CentOS, would it be possible now to include the
>> epel-release package in the main CentOS repositories?  I believe this
>> would help make the process of setting CentOS up a bit more convenient
>> and accessible for both new users (who may have an awkward time finding
>> and installing the epel release package) as well as more veteran
>> administrators, who could effectively choose to enable epel by default
>> by including it in kickstarts and so on.
> My suggestion for this, if you're already messing with kickstarts
> anyway, is to simply add the EPEL repository URL to your kickstart file,
> and add epel-release to the %packages.  Lines like this would do it:
>
> repo --name=epel --baseurl=http://mirror.steadfast.net/epel/6/x86_64/

Yes, thank you.

I learned the wisdom of kickstarts much later - I found Scientific a bit
easier to use at first because it does offer several such -release
packages in their main repo.  My point, I believe, is that including
epel-release in the main CentOS repo will make for a better experience
for those who wish to use EPEL, and offers very little in the way of
risk for those who don't.  I believe it will be a better user experience
for those coming from Debian-based distributions, who might be wondering
where small but very useful utilities like htop and sshpass are, as well
as many useful scripting language modules and all the other goodies
there.  I realize the current bar for getting EPEL installed on CentOS
isn't exactly high, but I also don't think it's especially obvious for
people who are new to it, either.

I understand there's going to be a desire to not diverge from Upstream,
which this would mean, but I also think the benefits of including the
package outweigh the disadvantages.

Thanks,
Marty