[CentOS-devel] github mirrors and subgroups

Karanbir Singh kbsingh at centos.org
Thu Apr 24 16:44:33 UTC 2014

hi,

Working on getting some of the git.c.o stuff into place, and we came up
against an interesting problem - in a single organisation on github, one
cant have sub groups or sub directories. So if we intend to run a
complete set of git mirrors from git.c.o on github.c then were going to
have a single listing of a few thousand repos.

It is possible to setup teams, that are then visible as
github.com/orgs/CentOS/teams/virtsig etc - and one can see just the
repos that team is responsible for - but might there be a more elegant
solution ?

one potential solution is to have github.com/CentOS as the parent
organisation, and setup CentOS-SIG-Virt etc as completely different
organisations, with teams that are able to completely admin that
namespace ( maybe CentOS-SIGVirt or something shorter ).

I've had a few conversations with the folks over at github and there
doesnt seem to be any other obvious workaround to this. Unless, I am
missing something ?

thoughts / comments on a potential plan ?

--
Karanbir Singh, Project Lead, The CentOS Project
+44-207-0999389 | http://www.centos.org/ | twitter.com/CentOS