[CentOS-devel] Distribution Artwork and logos.

Jim Perrin jperrin at centos.org
Tue Aug 12 18:35:52 UTC 2014

On 08/12/2014 11:15 AM, Alain Reguera Delgado wrote:
> On 8/12/14, Jim Perrin <jperrin at centos.org> wrote:
>> Recently we've had some requests from the community as to how they could
>> contribute various pieces of design, artwork or wallpaper.
>>
>> In order to make it more convenient for such contributions, I've moved
>> the legacy artwork git instance to
>> https://git.centos.org/summary/sig-core!artwork-archive.git. This should
>> be considered legacy and reference only.
>
> Yes. But, for the record, this work is not dead. I continue developing
> it under very difficult circumstances, so the reason of my apparent
> absence.

Correct. However it wasn't used for the c7 builds for artwork or logos
packages either. You had updated the images to the wiki instead. I'm in
no way trying to downplay the importance of the work you've done. Please
don't take this change as an attempt to do that.

> The main goal of this work is to provide a framework for The CentOS
> Community to produce The CentOS Project visual identity with a single
> command based on their own artistic motifs and specifications. This is
> necessary in order to automate the process of consistently releasing
> one unique visual identity for The CentOS Project each time a new
> major release of CentOS distribution is published.

The existing structure has been complex for new users who simply want to
contribute an svg or similar artwork. This was the primary motivation
for the change. The existing structure in git is valuable (which is why
we didn't alter it, but simply changed the repo location) but since it's
not used for the current logo/artwork, and it was presenting a bit of a
barrier to new contributors we decided it would be beneficial to
restructure from the ground up to make it easier to consume all the way
around.

> Jim, if possible, I would like to have this site available for pushing
> recent changes in case it be possible for me to do so, at some point.

All we did was change the location. I would prefer to have new
submissions in the new structure, but everything is still in place for
the old one.

> Presently, I am trying to implement a layout where there are "design
> models", "artistic motifs" and "automation scripts". In such a layout:
>
> - The CentOS Project provides design models (SVG files mainly) to
> define The CentOS Project visual manifestations (e.g., branding,
> distribution, marketing, etc.).
>
> - The CentOS Community provides artistic motifs to define the visual
> style of visual manifestations (e.g., PNG images mainly).
>
> - The CentOS Project provides automation scripts to automate the
> process of combining design models and artistic motifs arbitrarily
> into final images for final release (e.g., Tar.gz, RPM, etc.).
>
> In this layout, we try to avoid the inclusion of binary files as much
> as possible. Instead, we try to render them from their source files.
> Nevertheless, when we create design models for src.rpm packages, we
> include the content exactly as it is and remove any binary file that
> can be rebuilt from source files in the repository. In this context,
> if there is any binary file that don't need to be rebuild (e.g., it
> doesn't have any brand or artistic motif) it remains untouched.
>
> Basically, the layout would look as follows:
>
> ./
> |-- Models/
> |   `-- ${VISUAL_MANIFESTATION}
> `-- Scripts/

This is reasonably similar to what was there to begin with, correct?
That's part of the complexity that we're trying to avoid. If you and
Tuomas (the two doing the most at present) agree on how to structure
things, then I'll support that. It needs to be easy to consume, and easy
to contribute.

--
Jim Perrin