[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 Artwork

Alain Reguera Delgado alain.reguera at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 06:11:14 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 6:43 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org>wrote:

> Its important we are able to consolidate work being done by vairous
> people ( this might even be we ship with multiple artwork options! yay!
> ).

I agree. This is one of the reasons artistic motifs (e.g., files holding
graphic design in xcf and png format) and design models (e.g., files
holding image properties in svgz format) were separated inside the
repository, and considered individual components. This separation makes
possible for different people to provide  their own artwork contributions
without compromising the models required to cover an specific visual
manifestation (e.g., anaconda, grub, etc.) that other people might provide
after studying Red Hat's src.rpm files. Inside the repository it is
possible to combine an infintive number of artistic motifs with an
infinitive number of design models in arbitrary ways to achive consistent
results.

Because the creation process of artistic motifs need so much interaction
from the community, I would like to propose to use the wiki to share them,
not the repository. Likewise, design models definition might be conceived
in the wiki too and once ready carried down into the repository for
implementation. The repository might be also packaged and distributed using
rpm. So, anyone can download it and install it in their workstations. This
way, it would be possible to distribute a predictable work environment for
graphic designers and obtain different artworks based on the needs of The
CentOS Project.

Presently, I'm consolitating the repository directory structure, automation
scripts and their documentation. Probably, this is far from what we
immediatly need for EL7, but it will grantee, I hope, a much more community
environment in the future. Any suggestion is very welcome.

> I know Marcus has propose something already, and Tuomas Kuosmanen has
> put some thought and work into another -alarmingly similar- model.

Yes :) and I want to thank them for it. I've been far for a while and I
hadn't been able to concentrate myself on any artwork so far. The GIMP,
however, has a very intersing plugin named Flame. It produces random
patterns that combined with color contrasts, gradients and blurs might
create beautiful effects that might save the day ;).

Alain, it might be best if you were able to rebase to ensure
> git.centos.org's artwork repo is marked upstream from yours, sharing
> metadata, so its possible to mergeback.

I agree and also find it very exciting. As soon as I see the artwork repo
on git.centos.org, and my Internet access allows it, I will do it.

Best Regards.