[CentOS-devel] CentOS Dojo / Hackathon for Cloud Images

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Feb 6 17:12:19 UTC 2014

hi,

On the 31st Jan, we hosted a CentOS Cloud Instance hackathon at the
CentOS Dojo @ IBM Forum, brussels.

We had contributions from the redhat openstack team, the cloudstack
people, hpcloud, opennebula and the xen crew. Apart from getting the
base images done for these, we also had a few docker images built,
xen-pv and xen=hvm images for xen4centos and as a final bonus towards
the end of the day, I was able to update tooling to build all of the
above against the rhel7beta tree ( the actual instance building work was
all being done against centos-6/x86_64 only ).

All in all, I closed the day with 84 attempts ( of which 57 were
successful ).

During the hack session, everyone was targetting, as had been planned
really - a common cloud-init package. Before I start pushing the content
up publicly and upload the images done in the session, it would be good
to have the conversation around cloud-init. Are we going to keep
consuming it from EPEL ? which is hard and tricky, or are we going to
pull it into a centos.org repo ( Extras/ seems like a good target, for
base common stuff ). And if we do pull it in, how are we going to keep
in sync with EPEL ( and maybe other repos ) so we dont end up ver-rel
thrashing at updates time.

For the sake of completeness, the AWS images for 6.5 I've pushed
yesterday ( Wed 5th ) are as the 6.4 ones ( i.e. no cloud-init ).

Finally, to everyone there at the hackathon, I apologise for the rater
poor network conditions. Its something I will try and fix for the next time.

- KB

--
Karanbir Singh