[CentOS-devel] interest in Cloud Instance SIG (from the Synnefo and Ganeti side)

Constantinos Venetsanopoulos cven at grnet.gr
Thu Feb 20 14:55:30 UTC 2014

Hello Manuel, Tru,

first of all thanks for the quick replies.
See comments inline.

On 02/20/2014 04:21 PM, Tru Huynh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 04:00:48PM +0200, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
>> #pay attention to the comments inline !!

>> part /boot --fstype ext3 --size=250
>> part pv.2 --size=5000 --grow
>> volgroup VolGroup00 --pesize=32768 pv.2
>> logvol / --fstype ext4 --name=LogVol00 --vgname=VolGroup00 --size=1024 --grow
>> logvol swap --fstype swap --name=LogVol01 --vgname=VolGroup00 --size=256 --grow --maxsize=512
> http://www.synnefo.org/docs/snf-image-creator/latest/usage.html#some-caveats-on-image-creation
> 	Warning
>
> 	During the installation, you will be asked about the partition scheme.
> 	Don’t use LVM partitions. They are not supported by snf-image-creator.
>
> -> Not sure if that applies here.
>
> http://www.synnefo.org/docs/snf-image-creator/latest/usage.html#image-partition-schemes-and-shrinking
>
> 	When image shrinking is enabled, snf-image-creator will shrink the last
> 	partition on the disk. If this is a swap partition, it will remove it,
> 	save enough information to recreate it during image deployment and
> 	shrink the partition that lays just before that. This will make the
> 	image smaller which speeds up the deployment process.
>
> 	During image deployment, the last partition is enlarged to occupy the
> 	available space in the VM’s hard disk and a swap partition is added at
> 	the end if a SWAP image property is present.
>
> -> Maybe a single / partition and a possible swap space at the end ?
>
> part / --fstype ext4 --size=1000 --asprimary --ondisk=sda
> part swap --size=128 --asprimary --ondisk=sda --fstype swap

The above docs have to do with the 'snf-image-creator' tool which
we use to create our images. After the image is prepared this tool
does not get in the path. The image gets deployed and customized
by the 'snf-image' tool:

http://www.synnefo.org/docs/snf-image/latest/

However, since snf-image does not operate on LVM partitions,
that's why snf-image-creator doesn't support LVM too.

Regarding swap:

The image doesn't need to have a swap partition, since snf-image
has a corresponding option to add one dynamically. That's why
snf-image-creator removes the swap if it finds it at the end and
sets that property accordingly during registration of the image.
If the swap is not at the end, it leaves it as is. So, the best thing
to do in our case is to *not* have any swap at all in the image.

Thanks,
Constantinos

P.S.: snf-image's SWAP property should have been documented
here:
http://www.synnefo.org/docs/snf-image/latest/interface.html#image-properties-img-properties
but I just saw it's missing. We'll be patching the docs right away.