[CentOS-devel] Is it possible to merge elrepo.org contribute to centos main repository?

Ljubomir Ljubojevic centos at plnet.rs
Wed Feb 26 13:31:22 UTC 2014

On 02/26/2014 01:25 PM, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
> On 02/26/2014 01:53 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> Both EPEL and ELRepo have said they do not want to be a CentOS SIG and
>> want to be "independent". We have offered and they have refused .. Okay
>> fine, that is their choice, they are independent.  If you want them in
>> CentOS, tell them on their lists to join as a CentOS SIG.
> So there exists a "if it's not a CentOS SIG , we do not include
> references to them even if people still need to use them "  policy.
> Fine, why did you not say so from the beginning ? It would have shorten
> the thread significantly

I have hit the same obstacle of "nothing will be changed" when I asked
for setting up priority infrastructure. I was debating with Core guys
for full 2 weeks before I was told snowflake has more chance in hell
then CentOS has chance to change.

My understanding is that nothing more then allowing Cloud people to work
in one/several SIG's will EVER going to change in CentOS, so there is no
point in even trying. Especially not for newbies/Desktops. CentOS distro
will remain user-unfriendly until Sun turns off, and as consequence it
will remain a distro of choice for RHEL admins and no one else. Sad but
fact of life. It has me thinking that one option is to ditch actual
CentOS and use something CentOS like, maybe SL or Russian ROSA, so if I
help someone I do not have to spill blood and waste time all the time. I
already lost many business opportunities by standing my ground in "I
only use CentOS", so I might even think about learning Debian way and
cover both Desktop and Server users with one knowledge and expertise.

Only way to make things easier for newbies/Desktop use is to create
repository that will have release info on all third party repositories,
so you give newbies instruction like

yum install http://<link to single release file>
yum install epel-release
yum install elrepo-release