[CentOS-devel] Is it possible to merge elrepo.org contribute to centos main repository?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 18:34:33 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 11:48 AM, Jim Perrin <jperrin at centos.org> wrote:

>> Would/could, the permissible contents be different for a SIG than for
>> EPEL?   Could a SIG variant include, say, vlc or equivalent media
>> players?
>>

> It has to be something that we can legally distribute from a US law
> perspective. If it fits that criteria, then yes.

But media players typically aren't.  So then no.  Unless you can
cooperate with outside entities.

>>> Dunno about a video, but I am working on a wiki page that deals with the
>>> various command translations ( apt-get install foo -> yum install foo).
>>
>> And what are you going to suggest as a replacement for the
>> repositories Ubuntu would let you enable?
>
> The same repositories we already list via the wiki.

How can you recommend that,  knowing that following your advice is
very likely to end up preventing yum from getting security updates
over much of the system's expected long lifetime?

>> It is the inclusion policy that is the problem with EPEL - the
>> technical side is fine.  And I see less chance than ever of changing
>> that.
>>

> We don't have the same restrictions that EPEL does, so the barrier to
> entry should be lower.

I'm not convinced.   I think some automated vetting of combinations of
independent repos would be a much more complete solution.   That way
you could recommend a set of repos or include their -release rpms in
the base disto without the expectation of future breakage as the
result.   And the usefulness would apply to RHEL/SL or anything built
on the same base packages.

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com