[CentOS-devel] Is it possible to merge elrepo.org contribute to centos main repository?

Alexander Arlt centos at track5.de
Wed Feb 26 22:35:17 UTC 2014

On 02/26/2014 09:01 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 1:41 PM, Alexander Arlt <centos at track5.de> wrote:
>
> You can't really understand the future interactions of multiple
> uncoordinated things.

To be honest, most of the time it's quite a challenge to understand the
future interactions of multiple coordinated things. At least for me.

> But this is not something that every individual
> user should have gamble on independently or work out separate
> solutions for frequently-needed configurations.

True. Is this solvable? I doubt so. What is a "frequently-needed"
configuration? Again this would bring up Karanbir, saying this needs to
be measurable. And he would be right. Just because something is posted
repeatedly on the mailing list doesn't make it "frequently-needed".

>>> Jim, you have challenged me, but to tie my hands behind my back and grab
>>> a rope, because without ability to install "illegal" 3rd party
>>> repository (vlc, gstreamer-bad, ...) without any hassle, there is no
>>> point in wasting any time on Desktop SIG.
>>
>> Maybe, just maybe, a Community Enterprise OS is just not the right
>> choice for this? And maybe, just maybe, putting wings on a cow won't
>> turn it into a proper bird.
>
> Maybe the US isn't the right location for it, or a US company the
> right management entity.

I don't think there are a lot of places on this planet where you can
actually bring the wonderful world of multimedia together without
breaking laws. We have paid a lot of tax-money to our rightful
representatives to screw things up as good as possible.

>> Honestly, why would anybody try to turn something like RHEL 6 into a
>> Desktop, with all those old kernel-stuff, the old libraries and all the
>> fuss you have to cope with - and still end up with something that will
>> not be able to run all the latest gimmicks with the complete set of
>> bells and whistles?
>
> I think this discussion is more about RHEL7 and the future. And if it
> goes anywhere there should be one solution for coordinating
> technically non-conflicting packages that can't be hosted in the US
> and something different - on the order of RHEL software collections -
> for managing alternative/newer package versions that would otherwise
> conflict, but likewise with some central vetting to avoid conflicts.

Actually it's kinda hard for me to imagine a setup kinda
legal/illegal-repos, which will not break each other, will be maintained
with proper care - and will be enterprise stable. Because it still will
be CentOS. If you put a tick somewhere in some checkbox and by that
enable some whatever repository - when this goes south, it will most
probably be CentOS to take the blame, not the external repo.