[CentOS-devel] Is it possible to merge elrepo.org contribute to centos main repository?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 14:11:45 UTC 2014

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 10:01 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> On 02/26/2014 04:47 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> It is the inclusion policy that is the problem with EPEL - the
>> technical side is fine.  And I see less chance than ever of changing
>> that.
>
> not sure how you say the technical side is fine, for me - its the
> biggest sticking point about relying on external code.

In my experience of using it - for about as long is CentOS and EPEL
have been around, I can't say that I've ever seen a problem that I
could blame on a badly-managed EPEL rpm or repo, other than the fact
that they don't consider centos-extras to be 'upstream' - or for that
matter any other 3rd party repo, so there is a potential for
duplication.

 >If content in
> centos.org relies on external repo's - we need to have established a
> mechanism that allows sync of content before its released. and if we
> dont rely on that external code, why have it accessible ?

I don't understand this part.  "You" may not need EPEL content for the
base, but many/most CentOS users will and most SIGs with additional
content will need either EPEL or duplicated packages from there.    A
full mirror would be fine, maybe even better if you can do better
vetting before things go from epel-testing to your general release,
but it seems silly to duplicate it unless you seriously think you can
do a better job with that volume and not slow down new additions.   I
think cooperation would make more sense.   And I'd still like to know
if it is possible to automate testing of multiple remote repos to
detect potential conflicts and package/file duplication.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com