[CentOS-devel] NethServer as CentOS Variant and SME SIG Proposal

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 19:58:54 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 12:34 PM, David Loper <dloper at clearcenter.com> wrote:
> One other thought. I had mentioned a 'Server Management' SIG in the other
> thread where I suggest a CentOS variant based on our work at
> ClearFoundation. I would love to work with Alessio, the NethServer team and
> any other similar project in this space.

I think of 'server management' as what you do when you have racks and
racks of servers and you have to be fairly intimate with the OS and
specific applications.  And what ClearOS/SME/NethServe do is about the
opposite for small offices an home servers - that is, so you don't
really have to do server management.   So I don't think they belong
together.    The latter is more about mapping management into task or
function oriented forms so you get appliance-like operation without
knowing/caring much about the actual applications performing the
functions.    Both topics are interesting and to a certain extent the
developers need to know some of the same things, but there would not
be much overlap in usage or users.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com