[CentOS-devel] CentOS Cloud SIG?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Sat Jan 11 22:51:31 UTC 2014

On 01/10/2014 12:32 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 5:28 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
>> On 01/09/2014 02:22 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
>>> OK, but it's still a kernel based on the RHEL kernel, just with the
>>> changes/additions backported to it.  It isn't a bump to e.g. the Linux
>>> 3.10 stable release or something.  Correct?
>>
>> the xen4centos kernel is mainline based 3.x
>
> Interesting.  I'll have a look.  Do you know or have pointers to why
> they chose to go that route?

We tried, quite a bit, to try and get the xen stuff backported into the
2.6.32-EL6 kernel, but given the patch overlap was something we cant
control and lack the time and technical depth in kernel code to maintain
that longer term ( this was essentially Johnny and me, doing this over
and above most other things ), it was just easier to go down that route.

Secondly, there are quite a few anecdotal pieces on dramatic performance
improvements in newer kernels, I know atleast one of the top 5 CDN's (
ie carry > 25Gibt/sec ) that recently switched over from the distro
centos kernel to a inhouse 3.10 build for 'network perforamnce'.

In quotes, because repeated questions and pokes in various media have
failed to get a reasonable, tangiable, technical response out of them
beyond 'network perforamance'.

- KB

--
Karanbir Singh