[CentOS-devel] Differences in IaaS and PaaS, thoughts for the Cloud SIG

Sam Kottler s at shk.io
Wed Jan 15 12:00:00 UTC 2014

On 01/15/2014 12:23 PM, Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> On 01/15/2014 12:50 AM, Adam Miller wrote:
>>      I would like to start a discussion around the relationship between IaaS
>> and PaaS as topics for the CentOS Cloud SIG.
>>
>> Should we have one SIG with "sub-SIGs"? Separate SIGs for each? or some
>> other variation?
>
> I see PaaS as an application that runs on IaaS - if we're splitting into
> "Cloud infrastructure" and "Cloud instances/applications" would it be
> more appropriate in the cloud applications SIG?

I tend to agree that stuff like OpenShift falls into the cloud
applications SIG. My only qualm with that is that it means that
something like a quick-start or cartridge then kind of gets pushed out
of the cloud application category. Maybe it doesn't have to and both
classes of applications (both the PaaS and apps that run atop it) can
live together in a single SIG in harmony but they seem to be different
enough to be confusing.

Russian-doll cloud problems ;-)

> I would also see the likes of XLCloud (elastic cloud based HPC) fitting
> in that category.

This like xlcloud and mesos seem like they should be in the cloud SIG
proper to me since they're solving problems that people who run
applications on top of public/private clouds (think a ruby/python/node
app) don't really have unless they're running at massive scale.