[CentOS-devel] Repository structures for SIG and variants in the future

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 18:09:20 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 5:01 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:

> We are only talking about CentOS Special Interest Groups and CentOS
> Variants, not all 3rd Party repositories.  And we can't host anything
> that is encumbered (IP restrictions like MP3, not a license that allows
> for distribution, etc).

I'd give a lot of credit for the popularity of Ubuntu to their more
sane handling of 3rd party packages.  Even the ones they don't host
directly are generally available from a repository that is easily
enabled (without hunting for it, or guessing which ones will break
your system), and generally coordinated to avoid conflicts.   Maybe
some only-slightly associated site could host the repo-release rpms
for one or more repositories that are able to host media players, etc.
and that will try to avoid conflicts with each other.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com