[CentOS-devel] Differences in IaaS and PaaS, thoughts for the Cloud SIG

Adam Miller maxamillion at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jan 16 04:46:38 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 2:37 PM, Joe Brockmeier <jzb at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 01/15/2014 01:41 PM, Adam Miller wrote:
> > I don't think that's a fair claim to PaaS because PaaS can exist
> completely
> > independently of IaaS but can at points have integration. I run OpenShift
> > Origin at home on bare metal on spare hardware that I don't care to incur
> > the overhead of virt or IaaS. Because of this I don't like to classify
> PaaS
> > as an IaaS application.
>
> Is this a typical production use, though? I ask seriously - I don't know
> how folks are deploying OpenShift and whether it requires IaaS to scale
> well.

I don't really know if you'd call it "typical" but I know of customers
currently
running OpenShift Enterprise on bare metal today.

Honestly the main reason I shy away from "typical" is because I don't
personally have stats (I suppose I could try to find them) of how different
OpenShift Origin and Enterprise users are deploying currently to define
what is and isn't typical.

-AdamM