[CentOS-devel] Repository structures for SIG and variants in the future

Ljubomir Ljubojevic centos at plnet.rs
Thu Jan 16 18:15:03 UTC 2014

On 01/16/2014 06:04 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 10:24 AM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic <centos at plnet.rs> wrote:
>>
>> If that is/becomes truth, then priorities/profiles will be necessary
>> tool for accomplishing easy manipulation of various repositories and
>> package configurations different Variants will need. And that is fine
>> with me. CentOS-Core should stay as is, with only difference being
>> provision of "hooks" other Variants can easily attach to so they can
>> deliver packages they need that differ from CentOS-Core.
>
> How do you see this working for a package that is not in EPEL when you
> install it from some lower-priority 3rd party repo, but is
> subsequently added to EPEL with a higher version number and an
> incompatible configuration?

1. Same as now.
2. User changing EPEL repo file adding "exclude=<package>".
3. Creating new repo profile that will change EPEL repo file adding
"exclude=<package>".

Ultimately, user is responsible for using third party repositories that
use different configuration but same package name, and he should be
careful about updating it.

I do not have all the answers, the whole problem is very complex, but I
think my solution would greatly reduce common problems.

--
Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)