[CentOS-devel] Xen/Xen4CentOS SIG

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Fri Jan 17 17:07:58 UTC 2014

hi Lars,

On 01/17/2014 12:45 PM, Lars Kurth wrote:
> congratulations on the RedHat/CentOS announcement. Sorry for responding
> so late on SIGs: I was in China until recently and had no time to follow
> up. There is definitely interest to continue the Xen (or Xen4CentOS) SIG
> within CentOS, building on the Xen4CentOS work of last year. I want to
> get the endorsement of the Xen Project Advisory Board for joining the
> SIG at next Tuesday's board meeting. This will give an application (if
> needed) extra weight. I don't expect any issues.

thanks, and let us know how that goes.

> The other question I have is whether we do need to re-apply
> (http://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup lists Xen4CentOS as a SIG
> already) and what the format for an application would be other than
> posting to this list. Maybe we ought to look at the naming of the SIG
> and make it more generic to cover for future version changes in Xen as
> well as targeting CentOS versions beyond CentOS 7 (which ought to be a
> lot easier than CentOS 6 because we only need Xen and no custom kernel).

imho, its worth going down the route of setting up a formal SIG in the
present scope of things, although the code + content and release stuff
is already out there in centos.org ( which might also make it a lot
faster and easier, since we just need to realign the git repo and get
some build metadata around it ).

> Also, there would probably be practical issues on list naming, etc.
> (Xen4CentOS is merged with CentOS-virt from a list perspective). I don't
> have an issue with the status quo, but it may be cleaner for CentOS in
> the long run if there was a clear SIG to list mapping.

This came up recently in other conversations as well, the thinking was
that as a sig matures and has community traction we can split lists away
to be more sig focused. I'd imagine the entire Cloud / virt / hypervisor
SIGs could start from the centos-virt list as homebase and then branch
out. Having said that, most of the content on the centos-virt list at
the moment IS xen specific.

regards,

--
Karanbir Singh