[CentOS-devel] Packaging Office hours at 16:00 UTC today

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 00:07:40 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 5:48 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic <centos at plnet.rs> wrote:

> Bare in mind we are talking here only about newly emerged issues,
> because if SiG has had a problem with some package in the past, chances
> are that modified version is already in higher SiG's repository.

I don't have a working SME or ClearOS box right now.  Can someone
comment on whether they let yum hit the base or epel repos directly
now?   Or do they have local or renamed copies of the things they
manage?

> Lets go back a little. RHEL packages mostly and mainly are built so
> there are NO drastic changes. Every update must provide exactly the same
> behavior.

Agreed, but everyone will still advise testing all of your packages
together before pushing to anything important.    With management
/control packages, not only does the behavior have to stay the same
but also the formats of the configuration files.

> Where you are thinking of huge number of largely different packages, I
> am thinking of majority of updates being minor bug fixes and large
> number of packages only with new distro version, 6.4->6.5->6.6, etc.

I'm not thinking of largely different files, I'm thinking of files
that depend very closely on each other and need to be constrained to
update together - perhaps from repos managed separately.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com