[CentOS-devel] Cloud-init for CentOS?

Juerg Haefliger juergh at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 16:31:43 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 4:42 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org>
wrote:

> On 01/27/2014 03:20 PM, Juerg Haefliger wrote:
> > I also just realized the sudo doesn't work for the cloud-user. It asks
> > for a password. Need to dig around some more.
>
> I am still quite keen to have root as the default user to login as.. Can
> we have a middle ground where people are able to establsih the
> requirement for the cloud-user in the metadata for the instance and let
> cloud-init then do the adduser + append to sudoers ? otherwise, it just
> falls back to using the root user and injecting key there.

Quite frankly I'm not crazy about using 'root' as the default user. I
consider it a convenience if there's a non-root default user, otherwise I'd
always have to create one myself after logging into an instance. If we want
to follow the other distros (ubuntu, fedora), we'd choose 'centos' as the
default user. 'cloud-user' is a little Amazon'ish, but I'm biased here :-)

With OpenStack, you can always override cloud-init's behaviour by supplying
custom user-data but we should pick a default that makes most sense to
users switching from other distros. And in OpenStack's case I would claim
that this is 'centos'.

...Juerg