[CentOS-devel] Cloud image default login

Wed Jul 16 04:25:29 UTC 2014
Jimmy Kaplowitz <jkaplowitz at google.com>

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 11:17 AM, Sven Kieske <svenkieske at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14.07.2014 21:27, Neil Wilson wrote:
> > Importantly it is *safer*, not more *secure*.
> Okay, I can agree with this, but I'm under
> the impression most online tutorials mix this
> up or create false security by subliminal indicating
> that this would be more secure.

The GCE variant is also mostly more of a safety benefit than a security
benefit, but it does have one security benefit: if a user is subsequently
removed from the metadata server, or if the key is set to expire
(experimentally supported by our agent and used by this nifty feature:
https://developers.google.com/compute/docs/ssh-in-browser) and they're
removed from the GCE project, it's easier to clean up after people who used
to have access but shouldn't any more.

- Jimmy