[CentOS-devel] CentOS-7 i686 Spin

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Tue Jun 24 11:59:05 UTC 2014

We are going to try to build a full i686 tree.  This will happen after
we do the full release of the actual CentOS-7 x86_64 GA, since RHEL-7
does not have an i686 spin.

There is a full i686 kernel in the i686 tree at this point, but it has
not been tested, and we won't actually test it until after the CentOS-7
release happens, but the source and binary for the full i686 kernel are
available in the build repos here:

http://buildlogs.centos.org/c7.00.02/kernel/20140529190808/3.10.0-121.el7.i386/

We are not completely sure exactly where this full i686 tree will live
yet in the CentOS infrastructure (ie, in /7/os/i686/ OR in a SIG repo)
since it is not in RHEL-7.  All things that the board will need to decide.

But, I did want to make sure people know this is on our agenda .. and if
there are people that want to help this along, they can get all the mock
configs and try to compose a tree, etc, from mock local builds.  If
things don't build and need patches, then those same people can work on
that as well.  This list can certainly be used by those same community
members to discuss or collaborate that build.

If noone does it here, then I will start on it after we get CentOS-7 GA
and Zero Day update released, on the trees and the initial issues fixed,
etc.

Along with this i686 ARCH, we will be doing a ppc64, armv7hl (32-bit),
and likely (maybe) ppc (32-bit) and armv8<something> (64-bit) arches.

I will announce again on this list when we get closer to actually doing
things with code and/or start building those arches.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes