[CentOS-devel] Adding the EPEL release package to the extras repository

Jim Perrin jperrin at centos.org
Wed Jun 25 22:28:16 UTC 2014

In the discussions for putting CentOS 7 together, the board's agreed to
make the epel-release package available in the centos-extras repository
as part of the el7 build.

What this means:

The EPEL repository will NOT be enabled by default, but it will be
available. Following an install, an admin would be able to 'yum install
epel-release'. Following the success of that command, they could then
use epel normally.

In order to accomplish this without having yum complain, we will re-sign
the epel-release package with the centos key. The EPEL gpg keys will
remain intact in the file included, so yum will prompt and import
normally on the first package installed via EPEL.

Are there any objections to this before we execute?

--
Jim Perrin