[CentOS-devel] /etc/redhat-release

Tue Jun 10 19:02:37 UTC 2014
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 12:59:58PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 12:24 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> > On 06/10/2014 06:01 PM, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
> >> lsb-release is useless, it pipes out the text read from /etc/redhat-release
> >
> > but lsb-release will give you relevant content even if you are on a
> > distro that has no /etc/redhat-release
> >
> > which is kind of the point of having a single tool that can be used
> > across distros.
>
> How is running a program that isn't there any more useful than reading
> a file that isn't there?

Heh. Obviously, it isn't.

But I thank all of you who've responded, it's been educational!

the current installer I'm using (a large-ish shellscript) goes to some
effort to parse fields out of /etc/redhat-release on either RHEL or
Centos. Since RHEL and Centos don't necessarily have the same (or even
highly similar) text in that file, there's a lot of nearly duplicate
code in the script.

The output of lsb_release looks as if it can be parsed more easily,
for my purposes (e.g.: lsb_release -i -r). since I have input on what
packages get installed, as well as the installer program, I can request
that the package containing lsb_release also be installed, thereby saving
some nontrivial number of lines of code in the installer.

thanks again for all who responded.
                         God made him who had no sin
                      to be sin for us, so that in him
                 we might become the righteousness of God."