[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 and release numbering

Sun Jun 22 03:21:06 UTC 2014
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 4:48 PM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:

> What does 100% binary compatible mean to you?

It means you need to know exactly what it is compatible with...

> So, we have never been binary (byte for byte) compatible ... instead we
> wanted to be and checked for the things in the tmverifyrpms script above.

Bug for bug compatible (ABI level) is the way I take it.

But, changing the release versioning in an arbitrary way doesn't give
any new functionality in return for the confusion it will cause.
What if... you could use a timestamp in the release number as a
transaction ID for the update repository?    Then you could identify
not only the base minor level but  also the latest update status.
And maybe with some tweaking to yum it would be possible to make
repeatable updates that would be able to duplicate an update to that
state.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com