[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 and release numbering

Tue Jun 24 08:51:04 UTC 2014
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 06/23/2014 08:55 AM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On 06/22/2014 03:20 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> Much stuff snipped.  My reply is to one basic point:
>> We users of old CentOS 1.0 liked our independence from Red Hat, were
>> more the Fedora, we were independent. ...
> Any 'independence' of Red Hat was at best an illusion.  Who did all the
> work to get updates, security and other types, into the various source
> packages in the first place?  Who set up the infrastructure and went a
> step beyond what GPL requires to release source to the public?  Who paid
> the developers to make the fixes that the source code has?
>
> With all due respect to the CentOS team, rebuilding is a far easier job
> than developing the distribution in the first place.  This is not a slam
> against the CentOS team, by any means, but a recognition of just how
> much of Red Hat's work is and has always been in CentOS.  There never
> was any independence from Red Hat in reality, since we have always been
> totally dependent upon Red Hat for the source.

> If Red Hat had ceased to
> exist, all of the RHEL rebuilds would probably either cease to exist or
> would have been drastically crippled, as it takes a lot of developers to
> keep up with all of the various fixes that are being made.

All of this post is absolutely true .. the part I separated I wanted to
specifically highlight.  Without Red Hat releasing all the pieces, none
of this is possible and with them releasing the pieces and with CentOS
doing the builds completely in the open, it is simple to see exactly
what is there and what it is built against, etc.  So, the Core CentOS
Linux distro is now what it has always been, a rebuild of RHEL sources
that are now completely auditable.  If we are not building something,
its easy enough to see.  If we are building everything we used to build,
then regardless of the name/version then it is the same.  That is the
bottom line.  Now you can see not only what we build, but exactly how it
is built, in what order, against what libraries, etc.