[CentOS-devel] DVD split media

Wed Jun 25 22:31:28 UTC 2014
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On 25 June 2014 16:02, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> As in CentOS-6, I think we should skip the CD isos; there is little
> point in that ( but we should do the minimal ISO, lets keep conversation
> about that on its own thread ).
>
> The main distro is just a hint over 6.6GB, that means we cant really put
> all the stuff into a single DVD[1]; so we need to do the splits. In the
> past, we've done multiple installs making sure that all the installable
> components from the installer's groups, in english atleast, are all on
> DVD#1 and the rest can goto DVD#2. I suspect that strategy will work
> here as well, and does someone want to give it a shot and come up with a
> list of rpms that are installable via the installer.
>
> If anyone is wondering about the rest: yes, there are rpms included in
> the distro, hosted in the DVD's that are not installable from the groups
> available to the user at install time. They can certainly be installed
> from kickstart, but the general assumption is that people doing those
> sort of installs are likely not doing them from DVD media.
>
> Also, there seems to be interest in jidgo; has anyone worked with that
> in the past ? and whats to help us get that setup as well ?

I think we 'tried' it a couple of times in Fedora. It is a nice idea but
never got past the 'its a nice idea' stage as most of the people working on
it kept finding better things to do with their time :). At which point it
became the project for the next people...

> Regards
>
> [1]: maybe we should do a single large 6.6GB ISO as well, and have it
> available only on torrents, for people who might want or have access to
> that large format media, or people who just want a copy of the primary
> repo without using rsync. Thoughts ?

A 6.6 GB iso is useful for USB installs.. but at that time you might as
well make a 12 GB ISO with all the src.rpms included too. Great booth
giveaway and everything.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.