[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 Public QA: CentOSPlus kernel available for testing

Thu Jun 26 12:59:53 UTC 2014
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 1:05 AM, Gabriella Schmidt <gsc at bruker.de> wrote:
> Akemi Yagi wrote:
>
> The first version of the centosplus kernel for 7 is now available for
> testing. The kernel version is 3.10.0-123.el7 (GA kernel).  You can
> download it from:
>
> http://buildlogs.centos.org/c7-plus/kernel-plus/
>
> Or use yum with a .repo file similar to:
>
> [c7-kernel-plus]
> name=CentOS Open QA - CentOSPlus
> baseurl=http://buildlogs.centos.org/c7-plus/kernel-plus
> enabled=1
> gpgcheck=0
>

> I tried the installation  with :
>
> yum install kernel-plus kernel-plus-headers kernel-plus-devel
> kernel-plus-tools
(snip)
> but did not succeed due to conflicts:
>
> Error: kernel-plus-headers conflicts with
> kernel-headers-3.10.0-123.el7.x86_64
> Error: kernel-plus-tools-libs conflicts with
> kernel-tools-libs-3.10.0-123.el7.x86_64
> Error: kernel-plus-tools conflicts with kernel-tools-3.10.0-123.el7.x86_64
>  You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
>  You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest
>
> is this a bug?

Those conflicts are deliberate. Let me try to explain.

When using yum, kernel-plus and kernel-plus-devel are 'installed', not
'updated' just like their distro kernel counterparts. They can exist
in multiple versions on a system. Other kernel-xxx packages are always
'updated', so there is only one version at a time. It is very much
possible that those other kernel-xxx packages are different between
kernel and kernel-plus. You may not want to 'update' them to the
kernel-plus version on your system unless you know what you are doing.

For example, if you attempt to remove kernel-headers, it will also
remove a bunch of packages such as glibc-headers, glibc-devel, gcc,
etc. This means that, if you install kernel-plus-headers, whatever you
build on this system might behave differently. So, we do not want
users to be able to 'update' these packages automatically. It is still
possible to do it but only manually.

Akemi