[CentOS-devel] CentOS Firewall and UTM SIG

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Fri Mar 21 22:00:47 UTC 2014

On 03/21/2014 11:36 PM, Shafiee Roozbeh wrote:

> @Manuel
> Our goal is not IPtables rule generator ! We are talking about a
> version of CentOS that provide unified threat management which will be
> install on a device or server.

And so far - except for the yet incomplete module from NethServer - all
the talk was around various rules generators.

Could you please explain in more words what you wish to accomplish ? UTM is a great buzzword and integrating under the same umbrella firewall management and UTM is not trivial. Especially in a clustered world where part of the firewalling is done via appliances from various providers such as Cisco, Juniper, Vyatta, Sonicwall and Bluecoat

> On this machine except iptables we need proxy and caching service like
> squid and some tools else.

Exactly my point. What other tools do you have in mind ? And WHY do you
need proxy / caching on this machine ? My main proxy for instance is
quite far from some of the border firewalls. Up to 5000 km away. And
being able to maintain the firewall rules in a single place and push
them as needed is handy

> Firewalling is one of our goal...
> :-)

All right. And what other goals are there ?