[CentOS-devel] CentOS7 Vagrant box with container runtime and tools

Lalatendu Mohanty lmohanty at redhat.com
Mon Apr 27 15:03:36 UTC 2015

Hi All,

This is my first attempt to create a CentOS7 Vagrant box using CBS
(CentOS build system). The idea is to create a Vagrant image which can
used as development box for packaging applications in CentOS Linux
containers. This Vagrant box will also have required Linux container
tools (e.g. atomic command line, k8ns, etcd). If you want to see any
tool in this Vagrant box, let me know.

The present build includes Docker.

The scratch build is at http://cbs.centos.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=10480

Here are steps how you can quickly test the image.  I am looking for
feedback on the same.

More detailed information is present in the  github project [1] .

I have used Fedora21 to set-up Vagrant with libvirt/KVM backend. There
is a effort going on to provide Vagrant packages on CentOS too as now it
is not available through CentOS core.

#Setting up Vagrant on Fedora 21

$yum/dnf install -y vagrant-libvirt vagrant

#Running the Vagrant box with Vagrant and libvirt

I have also uploaded the images in
https://atlas.hashicorp.com/lalatendum/boxes/centos7-docker

Step-1 : Initialising a new Vagrant environment by creating a Vagrantfile

     vagrant init lalatendum/centos7-docker

Step-2 : To start the vagrant image and ssh in to it, please run
following command

     vagrant up
     vagrant ssh

vagrant ssh should take you inside of the Vagrant box

#To destroy the Vagrant box
vagrant destroy

#Running docker inside the Vagrant box
Inside the vagrant box, you should be run docker containers
Example: (following commands should be run inside the Vagrant box)

docker pull centos
docker run -t -i centos /bin/bash

[1] https://github.com/LalatenduMohanty/centos7-container-app-vagrant-box

Thanks,