[CentOS-devel] Xfce for CentOS group

Wed Jan 28 20:47:38 UTC 2015
Anders F Björklund <afb at users.sourceforge.net>

Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

>> Going to try to meet up with other interested parties during FOSDEM,
>> to see if we can't improve upon that and at least fix the low hanging
>> issues. And get some better Xfce testing and feedback going, as well.
>> A more long-term goal is make it an alternative to GNOME (Workstation).
>
> I've rounded up some of the issues, that currently exist:
>
> * The theme and icons are wrong, either missing or just ugly
>
> I don't see that.. but without knowing exactly what that means to you it could be I am just seeing stuff that works for me.

Well, it uses the "Fedora" theme. Hard to see how that would work ?
The rest are mostly missing dependencies, or paths that don't exist.

> I am interested in helping. I had lightdm in CentOS-6.. I will have to see if I can find the RPM I used for it.

Great! I did a quick proof-of-concept of LightDM 1.2 (from fc16),
the same version as is being used in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, and it's OK:

http://afb.users.sourceforge.net/xfce/lightdm-centos6.png

But will make all the specs and patches (SRPMS) available, soon.
Just trying to wrap my head around the CBS and COPR and what not.

Note that most of the package development will take place in EPEL.
Will of course work closely with the Xfce SIG, and the EPEL SIG...

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Xfce

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL_SIG

There's also some nice things to be learned from the LXDE SIG,
and their approach to testing, plus branding and documenting ?

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LXDE_SIG

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/LXDE#Test_Plan

--anders