[CentOS-devel] What can SCLo SIG do without authtag

Honza Horak hhorak at redhat.com
Tue Mar 17 16:16:40 UTC 2015

This is more or less a stream of my thoughts, as a respond to the
yesterdays' CBS hangout [1] which was dedicated to git/cbs issues and
design.

I've been thinking what the things mentioned on the hangout mean for
SCLo SIG, especially that the authtag thing (which implies working
lookaside cache except other stuff if I'm not mistaken) is not ready
yet, since it needs to be done rather properly than doing it twice
(which seems correct). Thus, SIG-maintained lookaside cache under rpms/
won't work for some time still and we're not able to build already
released RHSCL content ourselves (in the rpms/ project).

So, what can we do even right now, without authtag working?

Just to sum it up, what are our options right now:
  * git access under sclo/ project works for all SCLo SIG members
  * we can use Fedora's lookaside cache for creating SRPMs, since pretty
much all the SCL packages are in the Fedora already
  * building RHSCL 1.2 packages from SRPM is not possible, since we'd
block that NVR for future builds from SCM (we don't want to cause the
duplicate NVR issue in koji).

Thus, we need to use another disttag --> build into SCL future only as
described at [2]?

Anyway, if we had the packages ready in sclo/ witch tarballs in fedora
only -- could someone from CentOS power men do the import into rpms/?

If so, what about bootstraping in this case? Maybe we can come up with
some cookbook for packages rebuilds, that would be parseable by a tool;
that tool would create srpm from sclo/ project (specific hash may be
given so we may build one package twice because to bootstrap) and import
it and build within rpms/ project..

That should allow us to build RHSCL-1.2 packages without having commit
rights in rpms/..

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unOKuq7r9lg
[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/sclorg/2015-March/msg00030.html

Honza