[CentOS-devel] The c10s dist tag confusion: .el10+3 > .el10

Wed Feb 14 16:40:45 UTC 2024
Miro Hrončok <mhroncok at redhat.com>

On 14. 02. 24 15:17, Troy Dawson wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 14, 2024 at 5:19 AM Neal Gompa <ngompa13 at gmail.com
> <mailto:ngompa13 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Wed, Feb 14, 2024 at 8:07 AM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok at redhat.com
>     <mailto:mhroncok at redhat.com>> wrote:
>      >
>      > Hello.
>      >
>      > What is the planned c10s dist tag scheme? I've noticed many builds use
>     .el10+3
>      > nowadays. Do we plan to ever lower that down to .el10? And if so, how do we
>      > deal with the fact that .el10+3 > .el10?
>      >

>     I believe the plan is to do a mass rebuild after disconnection to move
>     to .el10. That will raise the more significant digit (leading number
>     in the Release field) to make it effectively higher.
>

> Neal is correct, but it will be a bit more.
> We will bump it once more to .el10+4 today, and do a mass rebuild (Using their
> own buildroots, and nothing from ELN).
> We expect that will take a week.
> We will then change the tag to .el10 and do another mass rebuild.

Bumping the more significant digit or not?

> In theory, everything should just build.  We'll see how that is in practice.
> There will be a few more things we'll be doing, but in the end everything
> making it into -gate -candidate and -pending will have a .eln10 dist-tag.

So basically even if it won't sort correctly, the .el10+X uilds are not
intended to be composed/distributed beyond Koji. Do I get that right?

---

I was just curious if .el10^X wouldn't sort better (but it is arguably uglier).

---

Thank you both for explanations.

--
Miro Hrončok