[Centos-docs] Documentation Licenses again

danieldk at pobox.com danieldk at pobox.com
Sat Nov 4 16:00:16 UTC 2006

> * Can people freely reprint the texts as-is, or does it make a
>    difference if they're trying to make a profit on the works?

As far as I am concerned, people can make a profit out of it, as long as
the result is copylefted.

> * Do the original authors have to be mentioned by name in reprints?
>    How about the CentOS project and/or wiki?

This is a tough question. The questions is whether contributors attribute
their copyrights to the CentOS project or not.

> For me, I like the intention of the Create Commons "Attribution
> NonCommercial ShareAlike" license: people are free to copy and make
> derivative works of a text as long as they attribute the work and
> release it under similar terms. Anyone wishing to profit from the text
> needs the explicit permission of the copyright holder.

As I don't mind for-profit use of my contributions, I'd prefer the GFDL or
the CC "Attribution Share Alike". I also believe that these two licenses
are most in the spirit of the GPL, which governs a large part of CentOS.

With kind regards,
Daniel de Kok