[Centos-docs] Documentation Licenses again

Mon Nov 6 14:29:53 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-11-04 at 11:00 -0500, danieldk at pobox.com wrote:
> > * Can people freely reprint the texts as-is, or does it make a
> >    difference if they're trying to make a profit on the works?
>
> As far as I am concerned, people can make a profit out of it, as long as
> the result is copylefted.

I have no issue with this at all ... I'm all for making money as long as
it is also available free :P

> > * Do the original authors have to be mentioned by name in reprints?
> >    How about the CentOS project and/or wiki?
>
> This is a tough question. The questions is whether contributors attribute
> their copyrights to the CentOS project or not.

WRT original authors ... I think that they can (and should) retain the
copyright.  So long as it is licensed in such a way that the CentOS
Project (or anyone else for that matter) and publish it and distribute
it in in electronic or printed form ... and can use it as a basis for
modification to build their own.

> > For me, I like the intention of the Create Commons "Attribution
> > NonCommercial ShareAlike" license: people are free to copy and make
> > derivative works of a text as long as they attribute the work and
> > release it under similar terms. Anyone wishing to profit from the text
> > needs the explicit permission of the copyright holder.

I have no issue with that ... but the FSF says that one should avoid
that license and that it is pretty much worthless.  Not sure if it is or
not, that is just what FSF says.

> As I don't mind for-profit use of my contributions, I'd prefer the GFDL or
> the CC "Attribution Share Alike". I also believe that these two licenses
> are most in the spirit of the GPL, which governs a large part of CentOS.

I like GFDL ... but I am not a lawyer, so I am unsure if it is best :)

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes