[Centos-docs] Documentation Licenses again

Ralph Angenendt ra+centos at br-online.de
Fri Oct 27 10:50:47 UTC 2006

Hi,

the thread discussing licenses for the Wiki content (and maybe for other
documentation coming from the CentOS project) somehow slept in during
discussion.

That's why I want to reopen discussion:

So far we found 4 licenses which should be inspected a little bit deeper
(pros and cons are from me). This is if we *want* to have the content in
the wiki under some form of license.

The Creative Commons license which CC suggests for wikis:
<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5/>

Pro: Easy to understand, easy to embed.
     Three-Layer system: Easy user readable license backed by a license
     for lawyers and a machine readable part (can be searched for by
     google and yahoo, for example.
     Available for ~70 different jurisdictions/countries

Con: The FSF begs you to stay away from these licenses for
     documentations

GFDL - The GNU Free Documentation License:
<http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html>
Con: It's legalese at its best. I have read it a few times now and still
     don't understand it.

FreeBSD Documentation license
<http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/freebsd-doc-license.html>
Pro: Seems fairly easy to understand
Con: Seems to be written especially for Documentation in book format.

Opencontent license
<http://opencontent.org/openpub/>
Pro: Seems fairly easy
Con: I've never heard of this up until now (which doesn't have to mean
     anything

Are there any people with some law background in the house?

Opinions, please.

Ralph