[CentOS-docs] Announcing the CentOS on Laptops initiative

Dag Wieers dag at centos.org
Mon Nov 26 17:13:51 UTC 2007

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> Dag Wieers wrote:
>
> > I would like to announce a CentOS on Laptops initiative. The aim is to
> > allow everybody in the community (and on this mailinglist) to document
> > their own experience with CentOS on their laptop (on the CentOS wiki).
> >

> > The goal of this initiative consists of 2 parts:
> >
> >  - help and convince people with their own CentOS on laptop installation
> >
> >  - promote CentOS on other Laptop websites and fill in this existing void
> >

> > I hope that everyone think back about the experience on their existing
> > laptop and add it to the wiki, and document everything when doing future
> > laptop installations.
> >

> > <insert your favorite motivational quote here ! :)>
>
> if you can setup something on the wiki - perhaps a few templates and we can
> all fill in  a few. give people something to look at right off the starting
> blocks, we can then announce this via the centos-announce list and on the
> website etc...

I created an index for it at:

	http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/

The template I still have to make, but it probably will change depending
on how it progresses. We also have to think about whether we want
different pages for each version of CentOS, or whether we put these on the
same page. (my preference since newer laptops will most likely be
installed with the newest CentOS anyway the older CentOS installs are
less relevant)

> I can definitely fill out atleast 5 different laptop configs that work with
> centos-5.

That would be great, I am going to do the same for the Thinkpad T41,
Thinkpad T43 and Thinkpad T60 and an old Toshiba laptop. (all of which
installed fine)

I also added the pages on the internet I could find wrt. CentOS and
laptops. These links would probably go into the page itself once these are
created.

So the template would probably have different entries:

	= CentOS 5
	== Specification
	== Video
	== Wireless
	== Network
	== Bluetooth

	= CentOS 4

	= Links
	== Vendor pages
	== Installation pages

I don't know yet what structure to use. I prefer to have a complete and
consistent structure for all laptops and allow for different HW
specifications to indicate it as such in the text. (At ThinkWiki that
works very well)