[CentOS-docs] Wiki deuglification Part I

Ralph Angenendt ra+centos at br-online.de
Thu Oct 4 10:20:30 UTC 2007

Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Oct 2007, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> I liked it already over the current one ! But:
>
>  - I do not like the colors all that much, I prefer something more sober
>    and professional

Hey, you began with the colors on the current wiki >;)

But on the other hand - what are "professional" colors?

>  - I like the font and size
>  - I do not like the globe for external links

That can be changed (or copied over from another theme).

>  - I prefer to have titles either in bold or underline, currently I find
>    it hard to see what actually is a title

Bold I guess. Is doable.

>  - I would go for normal (default) colors for links (and underline them)

I like it the way it is - underline them if the mouse hovers over them.
It helps still being readable if links occur in larger texts -
underlining them hinders the reading flow (in my opinion).

>  - I do think a menu/sidebar that follows some structure of the site is
>    important, also to house some other info like events and blog posts

I absolutely *do* hate side bars (like MedaWiki has them). But as I
said: The table hosting "current events" has it's own css class, so it
should be possible to move it around on the page - and to give it a
different look. I've done it as a table, as that is the *only* place I
can tell the wiki to use css style sheets while editing text - see
<http://wiki-m.centos.org/HelpOnTables>.

There might be plugins for something similar, I haven't looked yet.

> If you visit without being logged in:
>
>  - I would remove the Tabs (RecentChanges, FindPage, SiteNavigation,
>    HelpContents)

I'd keep at least SiteNavigation and RecentChanges

>  - I am not a proponent for showing 'MoinMoin powered, Python powered,
>    Valid HTML 4.01' on every webpage. The wiki is not for geeks. There is
>    little value in showing it on every page.

This is the space where I'd like to put the Creative Commons stuff.

> I couldn't log on to test.

That is strange, as you should be able to - you had access to the old
wiki.

Cheers,

Ralph