[CentOS-docs] Wiki FrontPage Proposition

Dag Wieers dag at centos.org
Fri Oct 12 22:37:18 UTC 2007

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007, Alain Reguera Delgado wrote:

> On 10/12/07, Dag Wieers <dag at centos.org> wrote:

> > > What do you mean with permanet exactly ?
> >
> > One that is available for every wiki document. The content does not have
> > to be permanent (per se), but at least the location and functionality
> > should. That is part of helping the visitor find its way.
>
> The link Documentation in the NaviBar is always visible. In the
> FrontPage we include some content about Documentation for quicker
> access. When the visitor goes inside the wiki, the Documentation link
> and others defined are still in the NaviBar, so the user can use it
> wherever he whats. The same case of RecentChanges actually.
>
> Actually the NaviBar is horizontally, so reader's order of preference
> is from left to right below logo image. In a left sidebar design it
> would be from up to down at left side.
>
> In each case we can add links to NaviBar, or remove default links and
> add ours ... Maybe we need to consider what we want ... delete default
> MoinMoin links (RecentChanges, FindPage, etc) and adding just
> Documentation, Donate, etc (always less than 7 or six links as moin
> recommend) OR leave default links and add ours after them (still 2 or
> 3 links more).
>
> If we put just our links (Documentation, Donate, etc) it would be a
> very CentOS NaviBar ... but make it a little difficult to users a
> quickly access to some important wiki pages like RecentChanges,
> FindPages, HelpContents, etc ... of course we could put this important
> wiki links on some clear place at FrontPage content section (not at
> NaviBar) ... this would make one step longer to access pages like
> RecentChanges but users will access CentOS contents through NaviBar
> from anywhere with just one click and we could keep NaviBar under 6 or
> 7 links.
>
> Maybe we can put CentOS important links like Documentation first and
> then wiki important links like RecentChanges.
>
> What do you think ? Do we still need a vertically NaviBar ? Could the
> horizontal NaviBar do the trick ?

I think we do not have to reinvent any wheel. Most users are accustomed to
this:

 CentOS wiki /logo                    login | search: _________
 --------------- -----------------------------------------------
 MENU:          | Welcome to the CentOS wiki.     -------------
  download      | a blah blah introduction text. | random      |
  documentation | You can find information yada  | screenshot  |
  contribute    | yada                           |             |
  promote       |                                |             |
  donate        |                                 -------------
  about         |
                | _Download CentOS now._ Find out how to download
                | the latest CentOS release and updates....
 EVENTS:        |
  T-DOSE 2007   | _Documentation on CentOS._ Help yourself with
  LinuxWorld NL | our FAQ and Tips-and-tricks. Browse to our....
  FOSDEM        |
                | _Contribute to CentOS._ Make yourself useful
                | and provide bugreports and feedback. Join....
 NEWS:          |
  Item 1 great  | _Promote CentOS._ Show Centos to people and
  Item 2 cool   | usergroups. Design flyers, stickers and....
  Item 3 neat   |
                | _Donate to CentOS._ Provide us with the funds
                | we need so hard to operate this project....
 PLANET:        |
  Post 1 mighty | _About CentOS._ What is CentOS? Who is
  Post 2 fancy  | running this project? Who can I contact....
  Post 3 wicked |

 --------------- ----------------------------------------------------

When a user is logged on, he gets the extra navigation bar

 CentOS wiki / logo                   login | search: _________
 --------------- -----------------------------------------------
 MENU:          | Edit | Info | Subscribe | RecentChanges | ...
  download       -----------------------------------------------
  documentation | Welcome to the CentOS wiki.     -------------
  contribute    | a blah blah introduction text. | random      |
  promote       | You can find information yada  | screenshot  |
  .             .                                .             .
  .             .                                .             .

and so on ...

This is simple and what most people expect for a frontpage. And that is
*good*. We don't have to go against what people already expect and now.
This is an informational site, not a site to make people change their
habits because defaults are boring.

I like conventional things to accomodate people, not too many information
and not too many links. People should feel at ease, pleasant.

Sorry for the lousy ascii-art, I guess if I was good in graphics, than the
graphics would probably stand in the way of the message :-)

BTW Thanks for your patience, I can imagine that it is not easy with a
bunch of perfectionists (like me) ;-)