[CentOS-docs] Doc for the Wiki

Chris Mauritz chris.mauritz at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 15:10:14 UTC 2008

John wrote:
> I just skimed through reading it. I would like to know if you can do
> this install on CentOS 5.1 pulling all the packages from the centos yum
> repos? Watch out that install of Python2.4.5. A user may have both
> versions installed at once.  /usrbin/python2.4.4
> and /usr/bin/python2.4.5 sudo make altinstall?? I assume we are not
> breaking original apps?
>
> Not for the beginner at heart. Can you do it all from Originality?
> Instead of following another article?

I dealt with having multiple instances of Python by placing the newer
version in /usr/local.  It all seems to work without any problem.

Hah.  If those packages were available, I would not have wasted any time
to compile them by myself.  :)  Creating custom packages is a bit beyond
my skill level, I think...or at least I've never had the time to spend
trying to do one by myself.  If someone wanted to help me with creating
rpms from the tarballs, I'd be happy to re-do the proposed wiki document.

Cheers,

Chris