[CentOS-docs] HOWTO: Asus EEE Box Network card

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Mon Aug 25 23:37:45 UTC 2008

On 08/26/2008 01:57 AM, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 02:24:56PM -0700, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 2:02 PM, Karol <darknesslabs at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello I would like to make a HOWTO: fix the realtek network card on the asus
>>> eee box. Centos 5.2 detects it as r8186 but it doesn't work right out of the
>>> box. Thanks to #centos and google I was able to get it to work.
>>>
>> When writing that page, could you also check out this wiki article by
>> Scott Robbins:
>>
>> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/WirelessAR5007EG
>>
>> which refers to (other nic) used in EeePC?
>>

> I thought I edited that page (although checking, I see that I didn't.)
> The 5007EG is in the older ones but the newest generation is using the
> card that Karol mentions--at least, the latest 900 series is using that
> Realtek.  I'm going to edit the page in a minute to change the "eee pc"
> to "some models of the eee pc."

Let's make sure we do not make a confusion. EeePC != Eee Box
AFAIK (correct me if I am wrong ):
- EeePC (the subnotebook thingie) uses Atheros chipsets (both for wired
and Wi-Fi);
- Eee Box has an R8111b rev2 chipset for wired connections and .. I do
not know what for wireless (5' of googling did not lead to a name for
the chipset)

As of Karol's enthusiasm: I am glad that your PC is functional, but for
the moment (as I have updated the list of boards known to work with
realtek's driver and also to not work with the stock driver) I fail to
see what content do you intend to provide to supplement the information
already covered by
http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/HardwareList/RealTekRTL8111b
(and by the supplemental and yet unofficial quick-howto from my fedora
homepage)
As a sidenote, none of the items related to Eee Box seem to have
anything in common with Scott's tutorial, as he has just pointed out.