[CentOS-docs] Simple postfix/dovecot guide?

Ned Slider nedslider at f2s.com
Fri Jan 25 13:43:59 UTC 2008

Matthew Bowman wrote:
> Ned Slider wrote:
>> I'm no expert, but have been learning postfix recently, and would be
>> more than happy to write one based on my own setup/experience. As
>> there's so many different scenarios for which postfix could be
>> configured, I'm thinking just a basic guide for a working mail server
>> to get new users up and running, and from there they can tweak to
>> their own environment. I'm thinking broad appeal (hopefully) for those
>> who don't know where to start.
> If there's any interest, I could definitely expand on the 'basic' guide
> with an 'advance' guide for Postfix Virtual Domains (with and without
> LDAP support), Filtering (SpamAssassin + ClamAV) and Dovecot LDAP
> authentication as well. This is the current configuration we use in our
> offices.
>
> Currently we run this on CentOS 4 but are in the process of migrating to
> CentOS 5 and I could do it for both. Not sure if dovecot on 5 was
> compiled with LDAP support but I know I had to recompile it on 4 with LDAP.
>
> --Matthew Bowman

As a community member, I would certainly be very interested.

As I originally said, I'm new to postfix so very much wanted to start
from the ground up building my mail system giving me the opportunity to
learn each piece of the puzzle rather than just blindly following one of
the wizz-bang guides on howtoforge etc. Once users have a sound
understanding of the basics, a more advanced guide would no doubt be a
great addition, and I'd certainly look forward to using it to help
progress my own knowledge.