[CentOS-docs] Re: Create page about rebuilding SRPMS and preparing RPM environment

Marcus Moeller mm at gcug.de
Sat Jul 19 15:13:47 UTC 2008

Hi Russ.

>>> I wonder what in the world, which is material, you think is ** not **
>>> covereed between the Ed Bailey, and the Eric Foster-Johnson, the GuruLabs
>>> resources (each down those links).
>
>> I am speaking about the CentOS Wiki and nothing more. I think pages like
>> the Yum and RPM page should cover aspects of handling both tools and the
>> build process should be described on a seperate page and linked from there.
>
> My question stands unanswered:  'what in the world, which is material, you
> think is ** not ** covered' presently?
>
> Adding yet another secondary source, frankly written by people who are NOT
> and have not been active in the builder, nor the RPM communities, does not
> add light.
>
> I don't see an improvement for the CentOS brand by simply increasing
> quantity.

I think this is not just about increasing quantity. I agree that this
should not be an option. And I definitely do not mean that the
existing resources are bad (just not that well structured).

The RPM Build process should be separated to a special page instead of
being part of articles like 'Yum and RPM' or 'The Kernel Source' and
of course your own great (but external) "Building Source RPM as
non-root" tutorial.

And maybe Filipe is not a RPM guru, but not being visible as RPM
builder does not mean he has no experience in. I think it could just
be an advantage if he restructures the content and adds his personal
notes. If it's technically wrong I am sure you will correct it.

Best Regards
Marcus