[CentOS-docs] Opening of the Wiki - Part I

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Mon May 19 15:41:01 UTC 2008

Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 5:01 AM, Daniel de Kok <me at danieldk.org> wrote:
>
>> I know that you are not proposing to have visible names, but I think
>> the same thing applies to "ownership" that is shown when a page is
>> edited. Other than that, page subscriptions should do the job fine?
>>
>> And why can't the editors be responsible for all of the Wiki? I think
>> it is better if abuse is fixed by the first person who spots it,
>> rather than a special moderator.
>>
>> I can't really see what purpose this proposal serves ;).
>
> Because I did not do a good job of asking my question using correct
> words :-D  English is not my native language (excuses, excuses).
>
> First of all, I am not talking about things like spam and abuse.  As I
> mentioned in my reply to Ralph's question, the editorial team must
> take care of these problems.  In other words, everyone monitors every
> page.
>
> My question is concerned with the *contents* of wiki articles.
> Suppose the original author or the current "maintainer" says, "I want
> to keep this page under good control by limiting edit rights to
> designated people", how would we respond?  We can say, "Sorry, you are
> against the goal of the Wiki.  You cannot do that".  Or, we can assign
> him/her as the "moderator" of that page and let him be the primary
> contact (internal only, the name not visible to general readers).
>
> Hope I described my question/point better this time. :-)
>
> Akemi

For me, the second scenario is more or less what we have at present, and
the first scenario is what we are proposing moving towards?

Again, I am in favour of moving towards a more open Wiki. I believe it
sits better within the philosophy of an open source project and is in
keeping with the spirit of the creative commons license that
contributions are published under. I can't see how a half-way solution
would work, for me it's either one or the other. It makes little sense
to me to have some pages open and others restricted.

As a matter of courtesy, it would be nice if contributors posted to this
list before making substantial contributions and/or changes, but minor
edits should require nothing more than registering an account and making
the edit IMHO.

Ned