[CentOS-docs] Test-driving RHEL Betas

Dag Wieers dag at centos.org
Mon Nov 3 22:44:24 UTC 2008

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> Dag Wieers wrote:
>
>>  We are not pushing the RHEL Betas by mentioning it on the wiki, are we ?
>
> Putting it on the Download page, we most certainly are pushing it.

You need a RHN entitlement. So that's hardly pushing.

Look at it from some other angels.

  - It shows people we are helping to give back to upstream (and not just reaping)
  - It encourages people to help CentOS as well
  - It shows Red Hat we are willing to help with Beta-testing

even when a RHN entitlement is required, showing that we care about this
sends a message. And I don't see a big problem with having this on the
Download page. It clearly says test-driving, beta's, I put it at the end
of the page.

I think this is different than test repositories where it is much easier
to make a mistake on an existing production system.

> btw, upstream seemed quite firm on not doing so ( my impression again )
> when the same issue was quite hotly contested as a sub-issue in the
> fedora-devel conversation about wikipedia's move to ubuntu and
> implications / fallouts from that.

Did they discuss the availability of RHEL Betas during that conversation ?

>>  I have no problem to discuss it, or change it, or move it to another part,
>>  or even remove if completely. But I do object to the communication-by-wiki
>>  style. And I do object to the fact that if you disagree with something it
>>  seems to be the law.
>>
>>  That is why I put it back and answered your question where it was asked,
>>  through the wiki comments.
>
> my bad, perhaps a s/?/!/ would have gone down better in the comment log (
> which by the way, we should all do a lot more of - add comments to commits )

BTW My original change did contain a comment on what I just added.