[CentOS-docs] Review and maintenance of the JavaOnCentOS article.

Mikael Fridh mikael.fridh at its.uu.se
Mon Oct 6 10:47:51 UTC 2008

On Sun, Oct 05, 2008 at 05:34:16PM -0400, R P Herrold wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Oct 2008, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>
>> I always welcome people who wish to help make our wiki better and
>> up-to-date.  The java page is referenced quite often not only in the
>> forums but in all other channels.
>
>> You might want to coordinate with MikaelFridh whose name appears as the
>> maintainer of that section of the java article.
>
> I do see such an indication (of a name appearing as a 'maintainer') of a
> sub-part.  But MikaelFridh has not touched it in months, and seemingly
> lacks an enabled 'mailto' as no envelope appears next to his EditName [
> ;) ]. He was added to the top for edit rights, did a couple changes, and
> then seemingly abandoned the 'Maintainer' role.  I will remove the
> sub-section 'Maintainer' indication on that section next time I am in
> that page, absent him picking up the torch again.

Perhaps Author would have been better than "Maintainer".
In lack of feedback (I rarely use forums) I haven't
touched the article since updating/verifying it.
With immediate feedback I would have fixed it right away.

I will update the article now but Johnny is welcome to update it
further as he now have access. I'm not totally digging the structure but
there was too much there already for me to rearrange it or verify the
other parts of the article. I think keeping 1.6 current covers must use
cases atleast.

Perhaps the actual building/installing step should be one single section
but with smaller alternative stubs inline for each Java version. Since all in
all, the instructions are similar regardless of JVM version and it might
make it easier to maintain, what do you think?

> REQUEST: As to the matter of adding edit rights after a request here, I
> would ask that the person asking, affirm that they are 'reachible'
> through the wiki mecahnism, and have set up their account with the
> 'userprefs':
>     "Publish my email (not my wiki homepage) in author info"
> clicked on, such that this envelope would appear in the 'Info' log.

Userprefs fixed in my profile...

--
Mike