[CentOS-docs] Samba

John jses27 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 13:59:54 UTC 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-docs-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-docs-bounces at centos.org]
On Behalf Of Will F.
Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2008 12:10 PM
To: Mail list for wiki articles
Subject: Re: [CentOS-docs] Samba

Hi Fabian,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

It always seemed to me that HowTo pages catered to those people who didn't
want to read "millions of pages of manpages" and just wanted things to work
now. Turnkey solutions. I completely agree that an article on how to setup a
simple public share is REALLY easy and all it takes is a quick Google search
or skim of the smb.conf man page. But at the same time, so are the rest of
the articles. My vision for this HowTo is really giving the yum command to
grab the package, a basic smb.conf, the location on where to put it, and the
service name on how to start it. That way someone can get a share up in less
than 5 minutes. I believe these are the more CentOS-related bits of Samba.

Getting deeper into the advanced topics of Samba "explaining how to
configure the backend (old smbpasswd, newer tdbsam, or ldap when acting as a
pdc), how to integrate in existing Samba/Windows domain/AD , explaining
Filesystem ACLs" seem better suited for samba.org since anyone who wants to
implement that really needs intimate knowledge of their environment. I don't
think they would want to read a summarized version in a CentOS wiki.

Comments?

Thanks,
-will
I think a real good How To on Active Directory Integration would do a great
justice / That is with AD as the Primary and Secondary Domain Controller.
There's a lot more of Unix/Linux Integration in a Windows Domain that meets
the eye than what people realize. Especially in my line of work.