[CentOS-docs] New HowTo on Local Mirrors

JohnS jses27 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 10:58:28 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-06 at 10:36 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> JohnS wrote:
> > Or did you mean your repo? BTW article seems to be nice be I would just
> > mirror base extras updates and addons and not the dvds
> >

> [root at koala ~]# yum search "reposync"
> Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
>   * extras: ftp.plusline.de
>   * base: archive.cs.uu.nl
>   * addons: archive.cs.uu.nl
> ============================== Matched: reposync
> ===============================
> yum-utils.noarch : Utilities based around the yum package manager
>

> its in yum-utils, thats hosted in the [os] dir, reposync works for
> centos-3/4/5 and since it uses the internal yum setup, you can make it
> do quite nice things like share a cache for X local install setups and
> also use it to keep repo's in real sync without needing to get every
> package that is hosted in the repo. Also, works well for include /
> exclude segments so you can easily ( and in a more yum friendly manner )
> manage the package set.
>
> With a bit more creativity, its possible to use that and squid to setup
> an avahi based lan area zeroconf yum mirror with failback to remote urls
> if required.
>
> I seriously doubt I'll have the time to sit and actually writeup an
> article on this - but I'd be happy to point people in some directions or
> maybe we can setup a shared screen session + voice  and do a demo.
>
> - KB
---
Cool, thanks Karan. Sound like what I am looking for (real time
synchronization). I didn't know it was in the yum-utils package.Didn't
know it existed until your mention of it also.

"reposync -n --repoid=updates" Is what I am looking for. It will sync
only the newest package updates. That really saves a lot of work on my
end. Thanks for pointing it out.  :-)

JohnStanley