[CentOS-docs] new page? - Virtualization/Install MS Windows XP as a CentOS5/Xen guest

Ed Heron Ed at Heron-ent.com
Tue Apr 21 20:54:58 UTC 2009

From: "R P Herrold", Friday, April 17, 2009 3:22 PM

> People -- this is NOT rocket science, and not undocumented.

  The man page for virt-install is wonderful.  If you've had a hand in it's
evolution to it's current form, I'm sure I'm only one of many that has
silently expressed appreciation.  Your response prompted me to read it,
again.  I've gone through the Virtualization manual, again, as well, in an
attempt to make sure I'd not missed anything.  Neither, as far as I can
tell, completely describes the process involved to create a WinXP guest on a
Xen server without a GUI.  For many, the pieces that are left out, are
intuitively obvious.  One such example is the lack of a suggestion to remove
the iso image reference from the virtual machine after installation to
reduce complexity.  If I've missed an additional piece of documentation,
please, let me know what it is.

  As I understand it, it is generally beyond the scope of a man page to
describe things that happen later in a process.  Also, my understanding of
the goal of the wiki is to simplify and/or summarize the available
information into a form usable by CentOS users, including novices;
Collecting information from multiple sources to streamline common processes
and ease the learning curve.  If I've misunderstood the goal of the wiki, I
would be grateful for clarification.