[CentOS-docs] New page on installing to software RAID

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Tue Apr 28 01:41:39 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-27 at 20:42 +0100, Ned Slider wrote:
> Phil Schaffner wrote:
> Was just looking at this earlier.
>
> Wouldn't it be a lot simpler to put /boot on raid1 too - wouldn't that
> save the lengthy process of manually duplicating those partitions? Then
> only grub would need manual installation onto the second drive's mbr.
>
> My understanding is that GRUB/Lilo have no issue with an ext3 /boot
> partition being located on software raid1.
>
> By not placing /boot on raid1, doesn't it just make the whole process a
> lot more complicated than it needs to be?
>
> I realise that in this instance, this document addresses a specific
> issue this user is having due to /boot not being on raid1. But if we're
> going to have a doc that describes how best to set up software raid1 at
> installation...

Ned,

Can't argue with that logic.  I was trying to capture some advice quoted
by a Forum user, and almost modified it to use /boot on RAID1, but
decided to go with minimal changes.  Will make that change.

Thanks,
(The other) Phil